For Streusel Topping
2 tbsp all-purpose flour
1 tbsp brown sugar packed
2 tsp unsalted butter melted
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon ground
1/4 tsp ginger ground
1/4 tsp allspice
1/4 tsp salt
2/3 cup applesauce
1/2 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar packed
2 tsp vanilla extract
2 cups carrots grated
2 tbsp pepitas optional (Pepitas is a Spanish culinary term for pumpkin seeds)
- Preheat oven to 375 F degrees. Line a 12-cup muffin pan with paper liners and spray each liner with cooking spray. This will ensure paper liners come off smoothly from muffins
- First prepare the streusel topping by combining the 2 tbsp of flour with the tbsp of brown sugar, breaking the sugar with a fork. Add the butter and stir in with a fork, or use your fingers to crumble up the mixture. Set aside.
- To prepare the muffin batter, first combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, allspice and salt in a large bowl. Whisk to combine properly.
- In another bowl add the eggs, applesauce, buttermilk, the sugars, vanilla extract and whisk well or use your mixer to mix properly. Using a spatula stir in the flour mixture. Stir in the grated carrots.
- Using an ice cream scoop, divide the batter equally among the 12 cups.
- Sprinkle each muffin with some of the streusel topping and the pepitas.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until muffins are done. To test for doneness, insert a toothpick in the center of a muffin and if it comes out clean the muffins are baked.
- Cool in the pan for 10 minutes then remove and serve.