Ready In: 30 m
- 4 slices bacon, cut into 1/2 ” pieces
- 2 tbsp. butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1/4 c. all-purpose flour
- 2 russet potatoes
- 1 8-oz. bottle clam juice
- 1 c. half-and-half
- 1 c. vegetable broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 sprigs thyme
- 2 6.5-oz. cans chopped clams
- oyster crackers, for serving
- 3 tbsp. finely chopped chives
- In a large pot over medium heat, cook bacon until crispy. Drain bacon on paper towels but leave bacon fat in pot.
- Add butter to melt, then add onion and celery. Cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in garlic and flour and cook until the garlic is fragrant and the flour turns a pale golden, about 1 minute.
- Add the clam juice, vegetable broth, and half-and-half, whisking constantly until combined. Stir in the potatoes and bring mixture to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer until the potatoes are tender, about 10 minutes.
- Add clams and cook until heated through, about 2 minutes. Season chowder with salt and pepper to taste. If the chowder is too thick, gradually stir in more half-and-half until you reach your desired consistency.
- Garnish with bacon and chives and serve immediately .