2 cups red grape tomatoes, cut in half
2 cups yellow grape tomatoes, cut in half
4 cups day-old crusty Italian or French bread, cut into 1-inch cubes
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
1 red bell pepper, julienned (fresh or roasted)
1 hot house cucumber, skinned and seeded, cut into 1/2-inch chunks
1/2 red onion, chopped
1 bunch fresh basil, torn into little pieces
1/4 to 1/2 cup good olive oil
1 teaspoon minced garlic
Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Put the bread cubes in a large bowl and drizzle them with about 1 to 1-1/2 tablespoons of olive oil. Season with salt and pepper to taste, then toss everything together until the bread is evenly coated.
- Lightly grease a baking sheet and put the cubes onto the sheet. Bake them for about 7-10 minutes, or until they are golden brown. Then, set them aside to cool.
- In a large bowl, add the bread, tomatoes, red bell pepper, cucumber, onion, and basil. In a smaller, separate bowl, whisk the olive oil, vinegar, and garlic. Then, add this oil mixture to the large bowl and toss evenly. Salt and pepper again to taste.
- Let everything marinate, covered, for at least 30 minutes at room temperature.